Friday, September 4, 2009

In Japan


After a long and slightly uncomfortable flight,  I have finally arrived in Japan.  It doesn’t really feel like being in Japan, allthough all the cute signs and staring people keeps reminding me that yes; I’m in Japan.
     The thing is, I feel so tired now! From the moment we sat foot on that plane, bad things have happened! First off, the flight had ”turbulens”,  and it was nearly impossible for me to sleep, which made me feel really tired arriving at the airport. When we were checking out of the airport, a lady and two men brought us to a small room, where they checked all our lugguage, clothes etc. And asked silly questions about if we smoked mariuanah, or if our family or boyfriend smoked mariuanah and so on. A long procedure – which  the other students didn’t have to go through.

Then, we met some people from Josai university (the school I’m supposed to attend), to sign some papers for our apartments. The men who picked us up, the staff at the school and so on, seems like very nice people (men kanskje litt slitsomt snille egentlig. Virker liksom så prosedyreaktig og kunstig).
     We asked if we could have boyfriends/friends to sleepover at our apartment, since the papers we signed mentioned that we had to have permission to have visitors. And the answer was…. No.  ”What?” I thought. Joachim and my bestfriend Marte has already ordered their tickets to come visit me! I feel so bad! Even though it isn’t my fault, considering our teacher in Norway told us it was no problem having visitors from Norway in our apartments. This was real bad news, and the worst thing is the reason for not being able to have visitors. The people who own these apartments (or the neighbours or something) dont want other people sneaking on our apartments because they are dormitory apartments (the apartments are not by the school though), and they obviously don’t want other people here. Expecially not boys, because they don’t like boys going into the girls apartments and so on. In other words, very old fashioned people! We tried to talk about it, but there was no way we could have visitors. In addition to this, things are a bit more expensive than I first though – including apartment depositum, expensive internet, expensive fruits etc. And it is hard to find other tasty looking things at the supermarked than fruits. Example, a small box of grapes was about 40NOK.
     After shopping some food and eating at a restaurant, we went home.. kinda in a bad mood because of the long day.
     Now I’m in Kyoto, exited to see some more of Japan – but I can’t really say I’m exited about staying here for 5 months though! Not when I heard Joachim and me has to rent a hotel etc. if he wants to visit me. The cheapests hotels close by are about 350NOK a night, per person, and he is staying for 2 weeks. Which is almost 10.000NOK for the both of us. It might just be because I’m tired, but I really miss home already. I’ll try to enjoy these days in Kyoto and Tokyo to my fullest, and take each day at a time. Right now I feel like only time can tell if I’ll stay here or not..

 
On the airplane

My view from the airplane <3

Our plane

In..... Japan!!!
  
Cozy Togane! Reminds me alot of where I live in Norway. Togane is the town our school and apartments are.


  
Mr. crab

One thing I find really amusing here in Japan, are the cars! So small and cute.. looks like big toy cars :-D

  
A really small truck :-D

Here we are in the restaurant, deciding what to eat...
                                                    Tonkatsu! It was really good :-)

 Picture from our foodshopping at "biggu shoppu", not always easy to find something good to eat.....what is that anyway? Seacucumbers? D:

Well.. that's it for now. I'll write more later.

1 comment:

  1. Omg, hørtes ut som en intens reise og slitsom ankomst! Men flott at dere kom trygt frem da. Det der med å ha folk boende hos dere kan jo muligens endre seg når de blir kjent med dere, og de får vite at det er forloveden din og venninne fra Norge det gjelder. De er nok skeptiske til de gærne jentene fra Norge i begynnelsen, vet du ;) Jaja, lykke til med det der. Kanskje du får noen japanske venner i nærheten dere kan være hos :o) Synd ting var dyrere enn dere trodde - men husk at det er en "once in a lifetime event", og at du heller får bekymre deg litt mindre om pengene akkurat nu. Hold ut, så blir ting garantert bedre og bedre etterhvert. Man har ikke perspektiv når man nettopp har kommet etter en lang reise. Runar tok jo studier i Russland, og han kjente ingen han reiste med. Han sier det var slitsomt i begynnelsen, når han ikke hadde oversikt over noe eller kjente noen, men så ble det ganske bra etterhvert :)

    ReplyDelete