Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Shibuya & Harajuku

A bit late update, but better late than never right?

Tokyo didn't really live up to my expectations. I don't really know why, but I imagined it to be more "flashy and showy" than it was. I think Tokyo is quite similar to Kyoto, only less tourists and more people. Despite this, I really had a good time there!

On our first day in Tokyo, we went straight to Shibuya after relaxing a bit in our new hostel. Shibuya is one of the modern, shopping places in Tokyo, with a lot of stores and malls. We were headed to Shibuya 109, which is a huge shopping mall for girls. 9 stores of clothing stores.
 On our way to shibuya 109. By the famous "street crossing" in Tokyo.
A really blurry picture, but this is a fashion style many people have in Tokyo.
Oh.. yeah, and the one to the left is a boy.
There are sooo many pretty clothes there, but 70% of the clothes are like size XXS here! Looks like the clothes you will find in children stores. And the clothes that do looks like the right size, you often aren't allowed to try on. Why? I'm not sure. Other places we've tried clothes they just put a paper bag on our head to prevent makeup getting on the clothes, but most places in Tokyo, they wouldn't let you try on the clothes no matter how many bags you'd be willing to cover yourself in. I did buy a sweater, necklace and a phonestrap though.
  
A picture of the entrance on our way out.
 
This is the sweater and necklace I bought in Shibuya, the wallet I bought in Harajuku, which is the place we went to the next day. My hello kitty sweater has catears and a ribbon on the hood.... only in Japan <3
  
This is a shopping street in Harajuku, with soo many stores I could only wish we had in Norway! (I don't have pictures from the stores, because you're not allowed to take pictures of them in Japan).

 
Weird accessories..

 
..and crepe stores at every corner! A crepe is a pancake filled with good stuff <3 I didn't get to try it though.. but I will for sure next time I see one of these stores. The price is about 25NOK.. cheap!
Unfortanely, I didn't get to take more photos because the batteries died. I have a bunch of videos though, But I havn't quite figured how to upload them yet.

So, now I'm back in Norway as most of you already know. And for those who didn't know, you do now.
     I didn't really see a future for me living in Japan the next half year, for various reasons. It wasn't quite as I expected, and things very more expensive than I though. Also, I didn't get to have visitors living with me, even though we we're told we could from the beginning. That resulted in both Joachim, and Marte - my bestfriend - had to cancel their flights..
     I really do like Japan, and I'm planning to go back already around december/january. But now when I'm back in Norway, I realise that I've made the right choise in returning. I also want to say that I'm very happy with finishing a year with japanese studies, living in Japan proved to myself that I've learned so much in just these two semesters! And my plan from the beginning was to learn japanese because it is something I've wanted for such a long time. I didn't begin studying japanese just to get a bachelor etc. but for my own sake. And that dream is fufilled :-) I will continue studying on my own though, and I will also continue updating this blog.. so stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. はじめまして!
    Hei, jeg kom over denne bloggen rimelig tilfeldig i stad. Leste litt og lurte hvor lenge har du vært i Japan? 1 år?
    For denne bloggen utspant seg nemlig over 16 dager så jeg begynte å lure da jeg leste at du hadde vært der i 2 fulle semestere...
    Tingen er nemlig den at jeg har gjort det samme. Jeg skal faktisk også ned til Japan nå i desember for å besøke kjæresten min igjen.
    Jeg bodde i Nagoya da jeg var der nede. Men til våren håper jeg på å komme inn på Sophia University i Tokyo for å ta en MBA i Film.
    Jeg hat bare så lyst til å høre hva du gjorde der nede:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. はじめまして!
    Jeg har nok ikke vært i Japan så lenge du.. Tror ikke jeg har skrevet at jeg har vært der to fulle semestere heller? Jeg har studert Japansk et år her i Norge. Tanken var egentlig å studere et halvt år i Japan, men det ble bare til en par ukers ferie. Den brukte jeg på å være sammen med venner, besøke kyoto, tokyo og oppleve mye nytt (som du sikkert kjenner til selv?:)
    Hyggelig at du skal besøke kjæresten din snart! Fin julegave det :D jeg har veeeldig lyst til å reise ditt så fort som mulig, men blir nok ikke før mot våren/sommeren. Du får kose deg.

    ReplyDelete